Monday, 14 December 2015

University Education (Updated)

About 5 months back, I applied to Singapore Institute of Management, Global Education (SIM GE) - University of Wollongong's (UOW) Bachelor of Science in Psychology and I am still waiting for the application outcome. The application site and the staff said that I would be notified of my application outcome within 1 month before course commencement, which is in December. Understandable though, because SIM GE would have to send my application to UOW for approval, but I still hope that I would be notified soon so that I do not have to rush to get a loan. Also, when I went for SIM GE - UOW's Open House, the staff said that I very likely would get the maximum exemption of 2 years from the course (which means I only study for the 3rd year there), so hopefully I would get that so that my financial burden would be reduced by a great amount. If I manage to get into the Honours year at UOW, there would also be a discounted rate for that year. I had wanted to go to University of Queensland (UQ) for the Honours year but because the universities usually give priority to students from their university and because UOW is offering a discounted rate, I did further research and found that the Honours year honestly do not differ much between universities, particularly UQ and UOW, so why not loan lesser. Thus, my thinking is that if I get into the course, I would definitely work hard to get myself into the Honours year and graduate with a good Honours degree, because I want to and it will widen my opportunities (also not to waste the time and money that will be invested). Just a while ago, I applied for SIM GE Scholarship but my application got rejected. Definitely, I was disappointed because I put in a lot of effort into the 4 500-word essays and I really hoped that I could get it so as to reduce my financial burden, even though I expected to be rejected since I did not hold much leadership positions during my polytechnic life. This means that I will have to loan if I manage to get into the course. It seems that SIM is quick to reject applicants but slow to accept :/

Since I have to loan if I get into the course, it also means that I would have to work right after I complete my Bachelor (Honours) degree so as to pay the loan. Ideally, after 1 to 2 years of my Bachelor (Honours) degree, I would want to get a Master degree in Clinical Psychology because ultimately, I want to be a Clinical Psychologist. However, the number of years that I have to work after my Bachelor (Honours) degree seems to depend on whether or not I can get a scholarship to finance for my Master degree. With a scholarship, I would probably have to work for only 1 to 2 years so that I can pay the monthly installments for my first loan. However, if there is no scholarship available, I would probably have to work for 2 to 4 years to pay the monthly installments for my first loan and save up money for my Master degree at the same time. Moreover, I am unsure if the university would allow a 2 to 4 gap year. Right now, I feel that the financial burden from my university education would be too overwhelming and because of this, I am unsure if I should continue pursuing Psychology. I still love and enjoy Psychology and it is still my passion. But I am really unsure, especially about the Master degree and when I still have other financial goals to meet. Oh well, I shall see if my application to SIM GE - UOW is approved. If it is, I shall complete my Bachelor (Honours) degree first and decide afterwards for my Master degree.

University education is so costly. I was really stressed about the financial aspect a few days ago but what is the point. Just take one step at a time.

_______________________________________________________________________________

On 3 December, I received a long-awaited email from SIM GE - I am offered a place in SIM GE - UOW's Bachelor of Science in Psychology! I have been waiting for this email since I applied in May and when I received it, I was so excited that I decided to get up and not sleep until my alarm rings haha. As expected by the staff I spoke to when I went for their Open House, I received the maximum exemption of 2 years from the course, thus I am only studying for the 3rd year there. I settled some administrative matters over 2 days and there will be an Enrolment and Orientation session this coming Friday, when I will get to select my timetable I think. I am so excited for it! I hope that there will be spare time for me to take up a part-time job, volunteer at some organisation(s), and/or continue going on photography trips. Even though I am really happy about being offered a place, the past week or so was emotionally and mentally draining, because of financial concerns. Thankfully, everything is fine now and I am fine as well. I am very very very thankful to the people who have helped or are helping me so that I can pursue my passion. Thank you so much :')

Recent happenings have been overwhelming - first my previous job, followed by my grandma's passing, then my financial concerns. I am glad that I am feeling better and getting myself back up again. School starts on 25 January next year. Right now, I am just going to enjoy my break and continue doing things I enjoy and bettering myself.

Be kind to and love yourself.